One of my favorite portals of pleasure is drawing. What I love about the process is the deep witnessing of another creature (in this case, a flower–can you name the kind?). In order for me to draw it, I first have to really see it.
- How do the blossoms change as they move from open to closed to barely buds?
- What is that pattern on the leaves (it really is this crazy)?
- Are the leaves alternating or opposing?
- How to I create something on paper that captures what exists in three dimensions?
- What lines will capture the essence?
- So many details that I only really notice when I’m trying to filter it through my eyes, my brain, and then back out through my fingers and pen. I become an alert, witnessing conduit. It awakens a capacity for ‘knowing’ that serves me in so many other places in my life.
This type of witnessing with curiosity is deeply pleasurable for me. It serves me when I bring that same attention to another’s body, or my own.